How to Program Your Garage Door Opener with HomeLink
We love the convenience of garage door openers, but let’s face it – that clunky transmitter looks like it was designed in the 90’s. With the HomeLink system, many Ford vehicles feature a programmable set of sleek transmitter buttons embedded right into the driver’s side visor. Join us as we walk through how to program your garage door opener with HomeLink with this step-by-step guide.
[ READ MORE: Which Ford SYNC System Do You Have? ]
Programming Your Garage Door Opener with HomeLink
- Turn on your vehicle
- Hold your old garage door transmitter a couple inches away from the HomeLink button panel
- Choose which HomeLink button you’d like to program
- Press and hold both the transmitter button and your selected HomeLink button
- The HomeLink indicator light will switch from a slow blink to solid or flashing rapidly
- Press and hold the button for 5 seconds
Solid Light – If you have a fixed code device, your HomeLink indicator light will be solid and pressing the button should now activate your garage door.
Rapid Flashing – If your light flashes rapidly then turns to a constant light, you likely have a rolling code device that requires a few additional steps. The following steps must be completed within 30 seconds, so a second person may make the process easier.
- Press and hold the learn/smart button on your garage door opener motor.
- Press and hold the selected function button on your HomeLink for 2 seconds, release it, then press it again for 2 seconds and release it
Resetting Your HomeLink System
To clear your vehicle’s HomeLink system of all programming settings, press and hold the outer two HomeLink buttons until the indicator light changes from solid to flashing rapidly (about 10 seconds).
[ READ MORE: How to Use Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start ]