Akins Ford Official Blog
How to Set Up Ford SYNC® Connect Wi-Fi HotspotBy Product Expert | Posted in Technology on Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 at 8:14 am
We’d love to say the thrill of the road trip never dies, but truth be told things start to seem a lot less grand after the first dozen rounds of I Spy. That’s why Ford brought us the Ford SYNC® Connect Wi-Fi Hotspot. With a Ford hotspot-equipped vehicle, drivers enjoy quick data speeds with a 4G LTE connection on the AT&T nationwide wireless network. The system is also capable of supporting 10 devices at a time within a 50-foot radius. Eager to get your vehicle’s hotspot up and running? Learn how with this Ford SYNC® Connect Wi-Fi Hotspot setup guide.
Ford SYNC® Connect Wi-Fi Hotspot Setup Guide
Part 1: Set Up FordPass App
- Download the FordPass app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Create an account or log into the FordPass app.
- Under the “Move” tab, select the “Add Vehicle” button.
- Add your vehicle’s VIN number.
- NOTE: This can be done by either scanning the VIN barcode on the driver-side doorframe or by entering the VIN number manually. The VIN number may be found on the driver-side doorframe, on your vehicle documentation or visible through the windshield on your driver-side dashboard.
- Assign a vehicle nickname.
- Once your VIN is confirmed, tap “Finish”, then “Activate SYNC Connect”.
- Wait a few minutes, then start your vehicle.
- A request to connect the vehicle with your Ford Owner account should display on the touchscreen. Select “Allow”.
Part 2: Set Up Your Data Plan
- Open the FordPass app.
- Your vehicle should now be displayed on the app. Select “Vehicle Details” under your vehicle’s image.
- Select “Vehicle Hotspot”.
- Select the “Set Up Data Plan” button. You should be directed to the AT&T connected car page.
- NOTE: If you have purchased a new 2018 or newer hotspot-equipped vehicle, you may qualify for a complimentary 3 month/3GB wireless data trial.
- Follow the steps provided by AT&T to activate your free trial or to sign up for a wireless data plan.
Part 3: Connect Your Devices
- From your SYNC 3 touchscreen, navigate to “Settings”, then select “Wi-Fi & Hotspot”, then “Vehicle Hotspot”. Verify that Wi-Fi Hotspot is turned “On”.
- Go back to “Settings”, then select “View Password”. This will display the name and the password of your vehicle’s Wi-Fi hotspot.
- NOTE: The hotspot name is listed as the “Service Set Identifier” (SSID).
- Use a Wi-Fi-enabled device to connect to the vehicle’s hotspot.
Check Out Our Ford SYNC® Connect Hotspot-Enabled Vehicles at Akins Ford