Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Reset Procedure
If you’ve purchased a Ford vehicle recently, it’s pretty likely that your car is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that continually monitors psi readings in all four tires. The system works by using sophisticated sensors that are attached to the valve stem. If you’ve gotten a tire rotation done lately, you may notice your TPMS display has the tire positions all out of whack. Because the sensors are located inside each tire, you may have to reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring System and help it relearn the new positions of your tire sensors.
[ Read More: How to Turn On and Adjust Your Ford Head Up Display ]
Getting Started: Before you begin, you will need to drive your vehicle above 20 mph for at least two minutes. Then park in a safe location where you will have access to an air pump.
Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Reset Instructions
There are two parts to resetting your Ford vehicle’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPSM). For this process you will need to:
(1) activate TPMS reset mode and (2) re-train each of your vehicle’s tire pressure sensors.
Part 1: Activating Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Mode
- Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
- Without starting the engine, turn your key to the ON position.
- Quickly switch the hazard flashers on then off 3x.
Note: Once your vehicle enters TPMS reset mode, the horn will sound once and a message will appear in the information display. If this does not occur, repeat the sequence.
Part 2: Re-Training Your Tire Pressure Sensors
- Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
- Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
- Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
- Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
- Turn the ignition off.
Note: If at any point in the re-training process two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful. Please try repeating the sequence from PART 1: Activating TPMS Reset Mode.
[ Read More: Adding Smartphone Apps to Your SYNC®3 Infotainment System ]